A decorative wall mask with a personality story
Wendell is blue in the face, having lost all patience from attempting to educate and explain how cost-effective it is to utilize wind power! Wendell is passionate about his beliefs. Although his frustration makes him suck in his breath at the adverse reactions of so many intelligent people, he does not waver from his mission.
Difficult for him to understand why he was living on a dying planet starving for renewable and affordable energy. Still, so many people were hopping into their sport utility vehicles, mindlessly driving faster than the speed limit to rush getting to Burger King, only to toss the used containers out the window as they speed back home. As he looks up to the sky, his mind is focused on the following elementary steps he attempts to explain daily to the multitudes of skeptics he encounters.
Steps in wind energy generation
- The wind blows on the blades and makes them turn.
- The blades turn a shaft inside the nacelle (the box at the top of the turbine).
- The shaft goes into a gearbox which increases the rotation speed enough for the generator.
- The generator uses magnetic fields to convert rotational energy into electrical energy. These are similar to those found in regular power stations.
- The power output goes to a transformer. The transformer converts the generator’s electricity at around 700 Volts (V) to the correct voltage for the distribution system, typically 33,000 V.
- The national grid transmits the power around the country.
Wendell wonders how many lifetimes it will take before more inhabitants of planet earth realize we are using up something we can never regain. He continues to look optimistically toward the day when another, less expensive, less intrusive, more technically advanced method of generating the power we are all so dependent on can be discovered and implemented.
He is proud to be one of seemingly few who sell power back to the power company today and has little compassion for those who constantly complain about how their energy bills are escalating! He will not be swayed by power monopolies to allow chunks of his state to be used to deliver power to states outside his own, leaving residents shaking their heads when opening their current power bills.